If you want to keep staying in Vietnam when your visa is about to expire or after you overstay your visa, you may ask: “how to get a Visa extension in Vietnam?”
There are two ways to apply for a Visa extension in 2022:
- Option 1: Apply directly at the Vietnam Immigration Department in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city for a visa extension.
- Option 2: Using the Greencanal visa extension service, we support handling overdue visas (days, months, a year) and applying for an exit visa in the shortest time.
Visa extension required documents
- A valid passport for at least six months.
- Vietnam visa, Temporary Residence Card (or TRC), or Visa exemption.
- Guarantor company documents (for a business visa, investor visa).
- A request for visa extension form NA5.
Conditions for a Visa extension for foreigners
In 2022, you will need to satisfy all the following requirements for visa extension approval:
- A Passport, a valid Vietnam visa.
- The certificate of Vietnam residential certified by local police;
- Have guarantor companies, organizations, and individuals in Vietnam.
- The applicants haven’t committed any crimes while staying in Vietnam or got blacklisted.
Foreigners who have overstayed their visa, visa exemption, or TRC could be blacklisted by the Immigration Department of Vietnam and forced to exit after paying a penalty fee. You will be banned from returning to Vietnam in the future. To know how to handle an overstaying visa read here.
Visa extension duration for foreigners
Depending on each type of visa and required documents, the extension duration may vary as follows:
- 15 – 30 days: For unilateral or bilateral visa exemption.
- 01 month: For 01 months, 03 months original tourist visa.
- 15 days – 03 months: For 01-month, 03-months, or 01-year tourist visas ( for US citizens only).
- 03 months – 06 months: For each visa extension for a 5-years exemption.
- 03 months – 06 months: For business visa (same guarantor company).
- 15 days – 30 days: For business visa (different guarantor company or no guarantor company).
- 01 year: For investor visa (DT visa).
- 01 year: For work visa or work permit exemption.
- 01 month, 03 months, 06 months, or 01 years: For dependant visa (TT visa).
- 03 years, 05 years, or 10 years: For Temporary Residence Card (TRC) for visiting relatives or investment.
Note: Vietnam e-visa can not be extended yet. How to get a Visa extension in Vietnam for evisa now, please call support: 0904 895 228.
Where can you apply for a visa extension for foreigners?
1. Immigration Department – Ministry of Security Public
- Hanoi Immigration Department
- Immigration Department in Ho Chi Minh city
- For a direction guide here
- Address: 333-337 Nguyen Trai, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city.
- Tel: 028 3920 2300.
- Working hours: 8:00 – 11:30 and 11:30 – 16:00 (Monday to Saturday morning).
In case a foreigner entering Vietnam is a diplomat, apply for a visa extension at:
- Consular Department – Vietnam Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Address: 40 Tran Phu, Ba Dinh, Hanoi.
- Tel: 024 3799 3420.
- Email: [email protected]
- Department of Foreign Affairs in Ho Chi Minh city
- Address: 6 Alexandre De Rhodes street, Ben Nghe ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city.
- Tel: 028 3822 4224.
- Email: [email protected]
- Web: www.mofahcm.gov.vn
- Working hours: 7:45 – 11:30 and 13:15 – 16:45 (Monday to Saturday morning).
2. Get a visa extension in the Immigration office of provinces or cities
Foreigners can apply for visa extension, TRC, or visa exemption at the Immigration Offices of the province or city where the foreigner is legally residing or currently living and working. The following Immigration offices are those in charge of extending visas in Vietnam:
Hanoi Immigration Office:
- Office 1: 44 Pham Ngoc Thach, Phuong Lien Ward, Dong Da District, Hanoi.
- Office 2: 6 Quang Trung, Ha Dong District, Hanoi.
- Working hours: 8:00 – 11:30 and 13:30 – 16:00 (from Monday to Saturday morning, excluding holidays).
Immigration office in Ho Chi Minh city
- 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Vo Thi Sau Ward, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Tel: 028 3829 9398.
- Working hours: 7:00 – 11:30 and 1:30 – 17:00 (Monday to Saturday morning).
- Hotline: 0962191506 Tel: 069 219 1515.
Immigration office in Da Nang city
- 78 Le Loi, Thach Thang ward, Hai Chau district, Da Nang city.
- Tel: 069 426 0192.
- Working hours: 8:00 – 11:30 and 13:30 – 16:30 (Monday to Saturday morning).
Attentions when applying for visa extension
- You must apply at the Immigration Department in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City if you want to apply for an extension for overstaying a Vietnam visa.
- Foreigners must present themselves, especially for overstaying a visa.
- Competent authorities only process visa extension applications for foreigners from Monday to Friday, excluding holidays and Tet.
How to extend a Vietnam visa quickly and efficiently
Greencanal Travel is professional in support handling visa extensions, visa exemptions, TRC, Work permits, etc,… for foreigners. Emergency Vietnam visa extension service, please contact us:
- Hotline: +84 917 163 993 – (+84) 982 528 589 (Tel/Zalo/Whatsapp/Telgeram).
- Tel : 024 3724 5292 – 028 3824 8838
- Email: [email protected]
- Head office in Hanoi: 4th floor, 142 Doi Can, Ba Dinh, Hanoi.
- Branch office in Ho Chi Minh City: 1st floor, #168, Vo Thi Sau str, Ward Vo Thi Sau, District 3, HCM city.
About our Visa extension service?
- Simple procedure (passport required only).
- Help you to check for an overdue status visa, visa exemption, TRC, fine rates, etc.
- Get you out of the blacklist, and re-enter Vietnam.
- Submit documents for you, minimizing the fine. Extend your visa or apply for a short-term exit visa.
- The client’s information is confidential.
- Free delivery across Vietnam.
- Door to door.
- Issue VAT invoices to businesses.
Why should you choose Greencanal’s service?
|Foreigners directly apply for a visa extension.||Using Greencanal’s service.|
|Prepare documents||A Visa extension requires a lot of complicated paperwork and may cause confusion.||You will be supported in completing all of the requirements.|
|Submit documents||You must be present at Immigration Department.||We will submit the documents on your behalf.|
|Processing time||5-7 working days and 10 days if requirements need additional documents.||Express visa extension: Process within 24 hours of receiving your application.|
Emergency visa extension: 1-2 working days.
Quick visa extension: 4 working days.
|Approval possibility||You may not be approved due to incomplete documents.||100% you will be approved for visa extension.|
How many days in advance can I extend my Vietnam visa?
You should apply before your current visa expires. You should apply for a visa extension as soon as possible within 7 days to 30 days before your current visa expires.
How many times can I extend my Vietnam visa?
Depending on your Vietnam visa type, usually, you can extend your Vietnam visa 1 time including an e-visa, and you can extend some types of Vietnam visas up to 2 times.